- Department / Function
- Contract Type
- Working Pattern
- Job Advert Description
If you're someone who likes to run a tight ship and rolling your sleeves up in the UK's largest drinks distribution company sounds interesting to you, read on...
Matthew Clark is an award winning drinks supplier, offering our customers an unrivalled product range with more than 4,000 drinks, including over 1,300 wines. We strive to be the trusted partner of our nationwide customer base of hotels, restaurants, bars, pubs and clubs.
Responsible for the day to day operation of both the transport and warehouse functions on a shift basis. Responsible for ensuring defined customer service levels and key performance indicator targets are met. Key driver for meeting company standards of customer service within warehouse operations. In addition, taking full responsibility for the operations in the absence of the Depot Manager. Responsible for fostering a culture of continuous improvement and encouraging a can do approach to all challenges. With the ability to lead by example and potentially develop into the role of Depot Manager when the opportunity arises to support the organisational drive for sustained profitable growth, whilst understanding the commercial practicalities, translating this into day to day environment.
- Manage the functions within the depot and out base, to deliver the defined customer service levels within agreed costs to demanding customers.
- Set objectives and performance expectation. Constantly monitor actual performance levels (using KPI) and touring the floor. Follows up on attainment.
- Manage adherence to agreed methods of working (e.g.: SOP’s) using them to plan and lead the Teams working practices. Take action over non-compliance. Taking a balanced approach & recommending beneficial action where this is outside agreed procedure.
- Manage resource / manpower planning on a daily / weekly basis to ensure that appropriate levels of suitably skilled staff are available to meet all operational requirements and cost effectiveness.
- Manage the training and development of all staff in order to provide appropriate skill cover for current and future business. Whilst having the ability to develop capabilities from within.
- To provide all new Operations staff with Induction and Manual Handling training & ensure they are equipped with correct P.P.E, before commencement of duties.
- To manage the service and maintenance of all MHE ensuring target controls are in place to secure compliance with all relevant H&S and company regulations currently in force.
- To manage all the legal compliance of a Transport department to ensure the depot and out base constantly remain legally compliant.
- To manage and promote constant improvements throughout both sites in all areas.
- Primary key holder for main site with call out responsibilities.
- Ability to deputise for the Depot Manager and undertake the full range of duties for that role.
- Together with the Depot Manager and Finance, produce annually a challenging yet achievable budget and a cohesive strategy to accomplish it. Continually review P&L and develop the breadth & depth of financial reporting.
- To work with the Depot Manager to think strategically on the long-term requirements of the operation to identify the necessary milestone required to ensure a continuity of cost and customer care.
- Assist in management and delivery of actual to budget performance on variable, fixed and admin costs
- Achieve/exceed the cost per 9L case budget
- Oversee stock availability, delivery accuracy and on time fulfilment to agreed standard
- Assist in payload utilisation to agreed level
- Ensure 100% legal compliance in transport, security, warehouse & H&S
- Sales teams
- Direct Reports
- Finance, HR other HO based services
- Governing Statutory Bodies
Experience, Skills and Knowledge
- Strong people management experience in either warehouse or transport
- Proven track record of innovation both in operating and cost control
- Route Planning Software experience ideally Paragon
- Warehouse Management System experience ideally Red Prairie
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Excel
Qualifications & Education
- Higher Education Standard, ideally at degree level or equivalent desired.
- CPC Transport Management qualification or similar
We tackle challenges and opportunities with passion and enthusiasm. Across the business we have fun whilst we do it.
We are always flexible to the needs of the business. Our people generate innovative ways of working. In return our leadership embrace new ideas and opportunities.
We work as one team to achieve a common goal. We support our customers, our retail Franchisees and each other.
Customer Focus and Excellence
We make a difference by going the extra mile for our customers and each other.
For more on life in the Operations Team, take a look at this short video.
What we offer
We offer a competitive salary along with a range of excellent benefits:
- 26 days’ holiday (plus bank holidays) - with the option to buy a further week
- A Contributory Pension Scheme
- A Discretionary Bonus Scheme and Share Incentive Plan (subject to eligibility)
- Life Assurance
- A benefits scheme offering childcare vouchers, a cycle to work scheme, an employee assistance programme, retail & leisure savings, and lots more!
We work with some fantastic people, we’re passionate about what we do and we have some fun along the way! Join us and you could have a career for life. If you want to know more about us and our work, take a look here or here. If this all resonates with you, then we’d love to hear from you.
- Full job description